Back Pain Prevention
Suffering from back pain can interrupt nearly every aspect of your life. Dealing with back pain can seem futile but with a few tips and good habits you can greatly reduce your discomfort.
Ten Tips for Back Pain Prevention:
- Maintain a healthy diet and weight. Supplementation with Omega 3-Fatty Acids, MSM, and Glucosamine Chodroitin are good ways to keep all your joints with the necessary nutritional building blocks to protect them from injury.
- Remain active—under the supervision of your healthcare provider.
- Avoid prolonged inactivity or bed rest. Again, stay active.
- Warm up or stretch before exercising or other physical activities, such as gardening. A flexibility protocol should be practice such as yoga, GYROTONIC Method or Pilates in order to avoid injury to spinal tissues. It is well known that the more flexible you are the less likely you are to injure yourself.
- Maintain proper posture.
- Wear comfortable, low-heeled shoes.
- Sleep on a mattress of medium firmness to minimize any curve in your spine. The Sleep Number bed from Select Comfort as well as TempurPedic beds have clinical studies showing improvement with pain for those who suffer from back complaints. The doctor recommends the Sleep Number or TempurPedic beds for those who are in the market for a mattress for its customizing firmness.
- Lift with your knees, keep the object close to your body, and do not twist when lifting. This is the mechanism how individuals hurt the disc’s in the spine.
- Quit smoking. Smoking impairs blood flow, resulting in nutrient and oxygen deprivation (hypoxia) to spinal tissues. Decreasing the body’s natural healing ability.
- Work with your employer to ensure that your workstation is ergonomically correct.